If you’re involved with any type of online marketing, you know how important it is to track your results. Analytics makes it possible to know for certain how effective your campaigns are, what you are doing right and what needs to be changed. There are many tools and services to help you do this, starting with the best-known solution, Google Analytics. Many people use Google Analytics because it’s free and integrates easily with many applications. There are, however, limitations to GA. Today we’re going to look at Clicky, an alternative analytics tool that offers some important advantages.
What is Clicky?
Clicky is a service that provides real-time analytics for many important metrics. It compares favorably not only to Google Analytics, but many other services, both free and paid, such as Piwik, Chartbeat, GoSquared and others. Clicky covers many different metrics for a reasonable price. It offers several apps and plugins so you can integrate it with WordPress, Twitter and other platforms. Here are some of the most notable features of Clicky:
- Real Time Analytics – One of the things that separate Clicky from most other analytics tools is that everything is in real time.
- On-site Analytics – A unique widget called On-site Analytics, which tells you who is on your site at any given moment.
- Detailed Information About Visitors – Clicky lets you zero in on individual users. See information such as username, IP address, location, host name, web browser, operating system and more. This helps you build an accurate and comprehensive profile of your visitors.
- Video Analytics – This is another feature you don’t find on most other analytics tools. You get an API to track actions with Flash video players and HTML5. See metrics such as average time spent watching and people who watched the entire video without stopping. This is a premium feature.
- Heatmaps – If you have a Pro Plus or Pro Platinum account, you get detailed heatmaps of where visitors are clicking on every page. Heatmaps are segmented by visitor sessions, split tests and goals.
- Plugins and Tracking Codes – Clicky provides plugins and tracking codes for a large number of applications. In addition to WordPress, it supports Joomla, Drupal, Magento, Adobe Muse, PrestaShop, Django and others. There are tracking codes for Shopify, Tumblr, WordPress.com, Blogger, GoDaddy Website Builder, Weebly and others. If you use a popular CMS, website builder or shopping cart, chances are that Clicky integrates with it.
- Twitter Analytics – Another feature not found on Google Analytics. Monitors conversations about your brand, website, or any relevant topics you set.
- Google Search Rankings – This feature is only available with a Pro+ account.
- Uptime Monitoring – Keep track of your site’s uptime status. This is a Pro Plus feature.
- Filter Results – Ignore visitors based on criteria such as location, URL or referrer.
- Spam and Bot Filtering – Unlike most analytics tools, Clicky guards against spam and bots, which is a common problem right now. Bots can distort your analytics and cause problems with your website. Clicky has proprietary methods to prevent this.
Clicky has a seemingly endless number of features, so the above list is far from comprehensive. In all likelihood, you won’t need all of the features. However, it’s helpful that Clicky includes just about every area related to analytics so if you start using a new platform, you’ll probably be covered.
Clicky vs. Google Analytics (and other analytics tools)
There are countless analytics tools on the market, so why use Clicky? Why not stick with Google Analytics? Well, since GA is free, there’s certainly no harm in using it. However, Clicky offers many features and benefits that GA doesn’t have, some of which are listed above. There are also many other features that you can find on their website. While Clicky has an impressive number of features, there are really a few significant advantages.
First of all, Google Analytics and most competitors don’t offer real-time tracking. As everything on the internet speeds up, there’s a definite advantage to getting the very latest data. You won’t get that with Google Analytics. Clicky is certainly not the only place to get this feature, but you’ll usually have to pay much more for it. To give one example, Kissmetrics offers real-time data, but their cheapest plan is $220 per month, which is more than Clicky’s Pro Platinum plan for a whole year.
There’s also the advantage of having access to so much data from a single source. Many of the features Clicky offers are not offered by GA or other services but you could get them separately. There are, for example, many ways to access analytics for videos, WordPress, Shopify, and other platforms. With Clicky, however, you can look everything up from one place.
Clicky has a simple, user-friendly interface. Compare this to Google Analytics, where it’s often more difficult and time-consuming to find what you’re looking for. Clicky is also flash-free and mobile-friendly, so you can easily check your stats from your smartphone wherever you happen to be.
Another advantage of Clicky over Google Analytics is one that really depends on your perspective, or perhaps how paranoid you are about Google. Google has one of the largest storehouses of data in the world for obvious reasons. For the most part, it’s safe to share your data with Google. The decision whether to trust Google with your data is a personal one. If you have reservations in this area, however, this is another reason to consider an alternative. To be clear, Google has many ways to access your data even if you don’t use GA. However, that service feeds it directly into their system.
Plans and Pricing
Clicky offers several plans to suit different needs and budgets.
- Free – The free plan lets you track one website and 3,000 daily page views. It includes all basic features, such as real-time data about visitors, individual visitors and actions, widgets and more.
- Pro: $9.99/month or $79.99/year – Track 10 websites, 30,000 daily page views, premium features such as segments, long-term metrics, alerts, video analytics, Twitter keyword monitoring any much more.
- Pro Plus: $14.99/month or $119.99/year – 10 websites, 30,000 daily page views, premium features, heatmaps, uptime monitoring.
- Pro Platinum: $19.99/month or $159.99/year – 30 websites, 100,000 daily page views, all features of Pro Plus.
- Custom: Up to 1,000 website and 20,000,000 daily page views. Price varies according to your needs and usage.
There aren’t any public Clicky discounts announced right now. Contact us for more info and personalized discounts and bonuses.
Should You Use Clicky?
You should definitely use at least one good analytics tool. It’s your choice whether this is Google Analytics, Clicky or another alternative. We’ve looked at some compelling reasons to try Clicky, such as real-time data and a huge list of features. If you have any curiosity about Clicky, it’s easy enough to sign up for a free account and try it on one website. Free accounts have access to Premium features for 21 days.
Clicky is a good choice if you’re involved in blogging, e-commerce, affiliate marketing, product sales, or any type of online marketing and you’re looking for a reasonable, efficient, and comprehensive analytics tool.