2021 Update: Surfer SEO just launched an SEO Writing Masterclass. This class aims to equip you with the SEO knowledge that will make your content stand out from the crowd, rank, get leads, and turn traffic into dollars. The course is free until February 28th. Starting in March, the price will go up to $199 (on the first week of March you can get 50% off with coupon code IMASUPERSTAR). Everyone who finishes the course will get a special Surfer SEO deal & a certificate of completion. The special Surfer SEO deal upon completion is a 30-day free trial for Surfer SEO. You can register for the course first or jump straight to the special deal here. Existing Surfer SEO customers can get additional six NLP credits added to the monthly plan by completing the following tasks.
An Introduction to Surfer SEO
Surfer SEO helps you optimize a wide variety of SEO factors on your website that affect ranking. This includes:
- Keyword Density
- Page-loading Speed
- Tags (such as title tags, H1 & H2 tags)
- Image Optimization
- Internal Links
- Outbound Links
Google considers these and other factors when ranking your website and deciding whether you provide search engine users with trustworthy content. It’s not easy to keep track of the many SEO factors. Surfer SEO helps you simplify your SEO strategy and automate many tasks. Let’s look at some of the most powerful features you get with Surfer SEO.
SERP (search engine results pages) is the essence of SEO. While it’s easy enough to look at Google and find out which sites are ranking best, it’s much harder to identify why some sites rank better than others. If you want to improve your ranking, you need to understand exactly why your competitors are ranking better (or worse) than you at any given time. SERP Analyzer simplifies this by providing you with valuable insights.
- Analyze your SERP position based on 500 factors. No matter how much you know about SEO, it’s a huge task to analyze a website and consider all the relevant factors. SEO Surfer does this automatically for you, giving you fast feedback you can use to rank better. Some of the factors analyzed include page speed, number of images, meta tag structure, referring URLs, keyword density, number of headings, and more.
- Competitor analysis. Get a detailed analysis of your competitors so you can find out their strengths and weaknesses. Learn which keywords and features are helping your competitors rank.
- Correlational SEO helps you rank faster. Surfer SEO focuses on correlating SERPs with ranking factors to identify exactly what causes sites to rank better. This takes out the guesswork when it comes to knowing which SEO factors to focus on.
- Location-based actionable data. Surfer SEO provides you with location-specific data to help your site rank in a specific country or language.
While there are many SEO factors to consider (which the SERP Analyzer helps you with), most of them relate to the actual content on your pages. This includes page titles, headings, images, and the text and keywords in your posts. Optimizing your content is more than simply choosing a few keywords. The Content Editor analyzes factors such as:
- Content Length -Including the number and length of paragraphs.
- Primary and secondary keywords
- Keyword density
- Topics and questions
You can use the Content Editor for landing pages, e-commerce product pages, as well as articles and blog posts. It helps you connect what can seem like separate tasks: writing, editing, copywriting, and SEO. On the one hand, you want to write as naturally as possible for your readers. At the same time, you know how important it is to optimize your content for Google.
The Content Editor lets you start with your chosen keywords and get auto-generated guidelines for optimized content that you (or your copywriter) can use. This saves you the trouble of having to send content back and forth between writers and SEO specialists. At the same time, you still need to apply sound principles for content or copywriting and balance these with SEO concerns.
Finding the right keywords is fundamental to your SEO strategy. While there are many keyword tools, such as Google’s own Keyword Planner, not all are easy to use or produce reliable results. Surfer’s keyword tool goes beyond the typical results you get from other tools.
- Covers topic-related questions. Questions will undoubtedly play a major role in search engines’ future, primarily due to the growing popularity of voice search. Identifying popular questions in your niche is a powerful way to inform your content strategy.
- Get keywords from topic segments. Surfer SEO shows you keywords related to your topic, helping you rank for many related keywords in your niche.
- Keyword Research Module makes it easy to identify the best keywords for your purposes. You can perform a detailed analysis from one dashboard without switching back and forth between different pages and windows.
- NLP Analysis. NLP (natural language processing) is a new Surfer feature, powered by AI and machine learning, making keyword research even more effective. Google is increasingly ranking sites based on natural language queries rather than traditional keywords. This is closely related to the rise of voice search. People speaking into devices don’t recite traditional keywords; they ask natural questions such as, “Where’s the nearest Thai takeout place?” rather than “Thai restaurant Main Street.” NLP analysis helps you create content optimized for natural language searches.
You can also install Keyword Surfer, a free Chrome extension that provides keyword recommendations, reveals search volume, domain traffic, and backlinks. Anyone can use this, even if you don’t sign up for any other Surfer SEO services.
Training and Knowledge Base
Working with Surfer SEO can also be seen as a crash course in SEO. As you learn how to use the features, you’ll be learning a great deal about the most important ranking factors. Since Surfer SEO keeps up with the latest trends and changes (such as Google’s latest algorithms), you can be sure you’re accessing timely information. You can keep up with these insights by following the company blog. They offer two free email courses that anyone can access: 7-day Advanced SEO & SEO Copywriting.
Surfer SEO: Plans, Pricing, and Discounts
Surfer SEO has four plans.
- Hobby: $29/month or $290/annually. 250 SERP factors analyzed, 5 SERP queries per day.
- Basic: $59/month or $590/annually. Includes unlimited keyword research, 500+ SERP factors analyzed, 15 Correlation Tool queries/day, 25 Content Editor queries/day, 25 Backlinks & Visibility queries/day.
- Pro: $99/month or $990/annually. All Basic features plus 50 Correlation Tool queries/day, 100 Content Editor queries/day, 100 Backlinks & Visibility queries/day, 50 NLP Analyses queries/month.
- Business: $199/month or $1,990/annually. 100 Correlation Tool queries/day, 300 Content Editor queries/day, 300 Backlink & Visibility queries/day, 150 NLP Analyses queries/month.
- Business+: $649/month or $6,500/annually. 300 Correlation Tool queries/day, 1,000 Content Editor queries/day, 600 Backlink & Visibility queries/day, 500 NLP Analyses queries/month.
- Custom: Cost and features depend on your needs.
There’s a 7-Day risk-free registration, which lets you get your money back within 7 days if you’re not happy with the service. If you get the annual plan, you will receive 2 months for free.
New customers can extend the money-back guarantee to 30 days by signing up for the Surfer Academy and attending two training sessions.
Existing customers can add up to six additional NLP credits for free by completing the following tasks.
Signing up for the paid SEO Writing Masterclass ($199) will include several perks, one of which is getting a 30-days free trial. This is similar to the free Academy benefit, only this is a free or a $1 trial and not a paid 30-days money-back guarantee offer. You can register for the course here or jump to the special trial offer here.
Surfer SEO normally does not offer any additional discounts. The latest promotion they had (Black Friday through Cyber Monday), offered 50% more queries per plan at the same cost.
Surfer SEO: Pros and Cons and Recommendation
With so many SEO tools on the market, it can be challenging to make a choice. Surfer SEO offers some advantages though it may not be ideal for everyone. Here are some of the leading pros and cons of this software.
- Provides clear SEO advice based on actual ranking factors. Getting access to more than 500 ranking factors (with the Basic plan and above) helps you focus on what really works.
- NLP Analysis is ideal for how Google is now ranking sites as voice search, and natural language becomes more important.
- SEO reports are easy to understand, even if you’re not an SEO expert. It makes it easy to identify the actions you need to take.
- Surfer SEO offers a good selection of pricing plans, including a 7-day $1 trial and the free Keyword Surfer Chrome extension.
- Not the cheapest SEO tool on the market, so it might not fit everyone’s budget. Some tools are only available with pricier plans. As of 2020, NLP features are only available with Pro plans and above.
- While very useful, the Content Editor might cause you to over-emphasize SEO factors if you don’t keep in mind that readability and overall content quality should be the main focus.
Surfer SEO is one of the most advanced SEO services you can find anywhere. It’s quickly developing a solid reputation in the industry. It’s especially attractive to marketers and businesses that are serious about improving their rank and dominating the search engines. Those who aren’t quite as dedicated in this area can find cheaper or even free tools. However, if you want to benefit from the latest SEO developments such as NLP analysis and correlative data, you can’t do better than Surfer SEO. To get an idea of how it all works, you can try the free Chrome extension and sign up for the 7-day trial.