Alternative tools and add-ons you might want to consider: CreateStudio (get a lifetime license at a discount here), Viddyoze 3D animation software (lifetime discounted license available here), Explaindio 2D and 3D video creator (lifetime special offer available here), and Gifing– recommended for short, attention-grabbing videos and Gifs, great for social ads (now also accepts and pays new content creators).
An Introduction to Toonly and Animated Videos
While video marketing is a proven strategy for connecting with customers and prospects, it’s getting harder to capture and hold onto your audience’s attention. Toonly helps you overcome this problem with engaging animated explainer videos that are entertaining as well as informative. There are several reasons that this kind of video is ideal for marketing purposes.
- People associate animation with fun and entertainment. They let you share information in story form, making it funny and exciting.
- Animated videos help you simplify dry and complex subjects.
- This type of video is ideal for social media. Your followers are more likely to share animated videos than more typical marketing type videos.
- They can be used for selling, explaining how products work, answering common questions, and more. They can help you cut down on customer support tickets.
- You can use Toonly on as many computers as you want, either PC (Windows 7 or later) or Mac (OS 10.10 or above)
A Simple Way to Make Explainer Videos
It isn’t easy to create animated videos without programming skills. At least, it wasn’t easy until Toonly came along. With Toonly, anyone can create an animated explainer video on any topic in minutes. It’s a point-and-click system that you can use to create any video.
- Premade scenes. You can start with a scene and animated characters that are a good match for your topic.
- Add or remove characters and objects. You can easily edit characters into and out of your scenes. You can also add objects and text to your videos.
- Give your characters facial expressions for added realism.
- Drag and drop the background you want for your video. You can adjust the background colors to suit your needs.
- Add voiceovers. You can record your own voice, hire a voiceover professional, or use any audio track for your video.
- Music library. You can choose from over 100 royalty-free music tracks to make your videos even more engaging.
- Thorough tutorials explain precisely how to create videos. There’s also a Facebook group where you can ask questions.
Animated videos are an excellent way to capture viewers’ attention and communicate in a fun and humorous way. Even businesses that generally present a formal and professional image can benefit by lightening things up with animated videos. Toonly makes it easy to create entertaining animated videos.
Pricing for Toonly
Toonly offers two plans. You can pay either monthly or annually.
- Standard: $39/month or $240/year. Unlimited videos, use on unlimited computers, 10 premade scenes, 30 characters, 17 character animations, 71 backgrounds, 20 background audios, 1,000+ prop images, Facebook group.
- Enterprise: $69/month or $480/year. 20 premade scenes, 82 characters, 30 character animations, 139 backgrounds, 142 background audios, 2,000+ prop images, Toonly Club (gives you access to new characters & props each month).
There’s no free trial, but Toonly offers an unconditional 30-day money-back guarantee.
Toonly Discounts: Getting the annual plan saves you roughly 50% of the month-by-month cost. What this means is that most users keep the license for six months on average. You know yourself better than anyone else, so you should know if you will use it more or less than the average user. Additional discounts are normally out during the regular holiday sales events.
Ways to Use Toonly
Animated explainer videos have a wide range of uses. Here are some of the ways existing customers are using this versatile tool.
- Landing pages. Capture your visitors’ attention right away with an animated video. This can help you retain visitors and reduce bounce rates.
- Sell or pre-sell your product. Explainer videos are effective in conveying the benefits of your product or service.
- Tutorials and training videos. Explain how your product works with entertaining, easy to follow videos. Create training videos for your employees.
- Facebook ads. Animated video ads can help improve your conversions.
- Crowdfunding videos. Explaining your project with an animated video can help you attract more investors.
There’s really no topic you can’t cover with an animated explainer video. As you get more comfortable with Toonly, you’ll find that it’s an efficient tool for getting your message across. We’ll now look at Toonly’s sister tool, Doodly, which is for creating a different type of explainer video.
An Introduction to Doodly and Doodle Videos
Doodly is for creating whiteboard doodle videos, another type of engaging animated presentation. Doodles are an eye-catching way to explain concepts, list features, summarize complicated points, and more. Here are some of the things you can do with Doodly.
- Create whiteboard, blackboard, green board, and glass board videos.
- Choose from thousands of custom doodle images. These aren’t stock images and can’t be found anywhere else. You can also upload your own images.
- Many characters and background scenes to flesh out your videos.
- Many hand types display your images’ drawing; male & female, left & right-handed, multiple ethnicities.
- Record your own voiceovers or import them. You can use your own voice, hire someone to do the voiceover, or import an audio file.
- Royalty-free music tracks to make videos more professional and engaging.
- Doodly Rainbow is a free add-on that lets you add color to your videos.
- Use Doodly on multiple computers. Compatible with PC and Mac.
- Export videos in multiple formats, file sizes, and quality.
Whiteboard videos have gotten quite popular for some good reasons. While viewers may tune out text in a video, it’s hard to resist watching someone doodle words onto the screen. It practically forces people to pay attention.
Pricing for Doodly
Doodly has Standard and Enterprise plans. You can pay either monthly or save money and pay annually.
- Standard: $39/month or $240/year. Create unlimited videos on multiple computers, 800+ characters, 1000+ props & images, 75 royalty-free music tracks, Facebook group.
- Enterprise: $69/month or $480/year. 3,500+ characters, 3,000+ props & images, 150 royalty-free music tracks, access to Doodly Club (new characters and images monthly).
Doodly Discounts: Same as with Toonly, the annual plan is 50% off the monthly plan for 12 months. What this means is that the average user keeps the monthly plan for six months. If you see yourself as a heavy, long-time user, you will benefit from the annual plan. If you aren’t sure how intensely you will use it, then the monthly plan is probably better for you. Additional discounts are normally released around special holiday events.
You can also get the Doodly Elite Masterclass video series here for a one-time fee of $97.
If all these plans and upgrades are just too much for you, you can also hire a professional to create a one-time Doodle video for you.
Toonly vs. Doodly: When Should You Use Each?
Toonly and Doodly are related tools that let you create animated explainer videos. This brings up the question of which is better for your purposes. Or do you need both? Since they aren’t competitors but put out by the same company, it makes sense that they each serve a distinct function. Otherwise, it would be redundant to have them both. The fact is, both Toonly and Doodly are powerful video marketing tools, but they have slightly different purposes.
Toonly lets you create animated videos with a variety of distinct characters. With Toonly, you instantly become a professional animator with the ability to tell a story. Viewers will be engrossed with the many visual elements as well as the animated characters. Almost everyone grew up watching cartoons, and people will often pay more attention to animated characters than live ones.
With Doodly, you’re still using animation, but the focus is on the text. There are a few other ways to create text-based videos. You can create slides out of written content. There are also software apps that let you convert blog posts or articles into videos. Doodly has a distinct advantage over these methods. It’s not very interesting to watch a video with nothing but words on the screen. With doodling, however, the eyes are captivated by the doodling motion.
There is some overlap between the two tools. Toonly also lets you include text, and Doodly has images and props for visual appeal. Both are effective for explaining products, procedures, or ideas. So there are many videos where you could use either. However, Toonly is better if you want to emphasize entertainment and personality. Doodly is more appropriate for explaining complex ideas that require more text.
Choosing the Right Video Marketing Tool
Now that we’ve looked at Toonly and Doodly, it’s a question of identifying the tool that works best for your needs. Each of these services has powerful features to make engaging, professional videos quickly. Both have an active community (Doodly community on FB, Toonly community on FB. However, they produce videos with a distinct look and feel. Here’s a summary of each tool’s benefits.
- Toonly: Create animated explainer videos with a wide choice of characters (with facial expressions for emotional variety), settings, images, and music tracks.
- Doodly: The premier tool for creating doodle whiteboard (as well as green board and glass board) videos. These display a hand (or without a hand if you prefer) doodling text, which helps keep your viewers’ attention. It also has settings, images, and music to accompany videos.
If you’re truly passionate about video marketing and have the budget for it, you might want to get both. However, assuming you have to pick one, you need to consider your goals, branding, and the types of products or services you’re marketing. You can also test each of these services. Toonly and Doodly each have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Additional video creation services we previously reviewed on our website are Promo, Lumen5, Explaindio, Viddyoze, and Gifing. To help promote your videos on Youtube, we recommend trying out VidIQ, the YouTube-certified Chrome extension, or TubeBuddy, a YouTube video optimization and management toolkit.